“Cloud” became a very popular term nowadays. Many applications, services and infrastructures become now cloud-based. So what is “cloud”? Why should an average user prefer using cloud instead of usual desktop applications, local server storage and so on?
“Cloud” became a very popular term nowadays. Many applications, services and infrastructures become now cloud-based. So what is “cloud”?
In modern terminology the word “cloud” is used as a synonym for "the Internet," so in fact “cloud-based” means "Internet-based", when different services (such as servers, storage and applications) are delivered to users computer or any other devices through the Internet.
Why should an average user prefer using cloud instead of usual desktop applications, local server storage and so on?
Here are 5 main reasons:
1. Accessibility. Modern world is moving all the time, and people in it also are constantly on the move. Now you can hardly allow yourself to sit all day long in front of your desktop computer. That's why we need to have easily accessible data and necessary applications. And cloud gives us exactly what we need – now you may reach your documents and get into your company's cloud-based CRM from every part of the world. All you need is the Internet and any device like smart phone, tablet or laptop.
2. Infinite storage space. I think you know how annoying it is when you want to take a photo and your memory stick is full or when you have to delete some files as your Windows continues yelling that there is no space on disk. Cloud is enormous, it is nearly unlimited. It can store all your data and you can always increase your storage when needed.
3. Safe back up. Your memory stick may be lost, computer broken and laptop stolen, you can buy new ones, even better, but you won't get your data back. That's why putting all data in clouds is a wise decision. You may be sure that your data is safe and that only you can reach it.
4. Easy sharing. I guess everyone has an experience of trying to send some big files via email, and it is downloading for a long time, then it gets stuck and at the end email is either returned with “Mail delivery failed” subject or gets into junk folder. Frustrating, right? And just imagine, that you have your big file in some cloud storage
5. Encryption. When you keep documents at your computer someone can get into it and access your data. When all your documents are in cloud, they are under shield of cloud provider – encrypted and password protected. Other people may even not know what cloud storage you use for your files.
People may have different attitude to cloud service, but the fact is that to the end of 2013 the number of cloud-user was about 625 mln of people. So decide yourself where you will be – in cloud or on earth!